Between Owen and how busy I am at work, there’s no way to fit in a day in the life during the week, so I bring to you a Saturday in the Life of Lissy: 4/16/16
My iPad was getting kinda old and not worky so good, so I bought the new 9.7″ pro. I loooooove it :)
I realize I haven’t blogged in forever. Work has been super crazy with the new tool we’re using for flows and it not working at all. Building bugs on top of bugs. And then I spent a few weekends studying for my Facebook interview which was a total disaster. I was so frazzled by the trip into the city that I was completely exhausted by the time I got there and my nerves took over and my brain couldn’t answer the simple question she gave me. Oh well. I’m thinking commute into the city, not so great anyway.
Owen is now 18 months. He says something new every day. He knows all of his body parts and loves pointing to our eyes and nose too. He pretend talks on the “phone” all the time including “hewow” and “bye bye.” I put phone in quotes because sometimes a piece of apple is a phone.
His favorite books include “Goodnight Goon” and “Duck and Goose: Goose Needs a Hug.” If you start reciting a book he goes and finds it. He loves his books and wants to listen to them over and over.
We’ve been letting him run around the park and go where he wants. He’ll run around the entire lake and then sleep pretty well at night. He no longer nurses between 8pm and 1:30am. The past couple of nights he’s made it to 2:30. Progress!
I’ll be doing a day in yet life soon, probably on a weekend because I’m just too busy at work.
The night weaning is not going so well. He falls asleep without nursing often, but on my chest and then I move and he wakes up and we have to repeat. He’s had the sniffles this week, so we’re taking a break and we’ll start over again once he’s feeling better.
He’s pretty content during the day though. Saying new things all the time. He likes going “side-to-side” and signing the “na na na na na na na” ‘s of “Hey Jude” and “row row row you boat” to me though it comes out more like “wo wo wo ba ba oooo.” “No” is something he says a lot. He shakes his head, but doesn’t know it means “no.” My favorite is “oh no!”
The other night he read his book “vroom” and did an excellent job on the last page: “bye bye.”
Work is boring. I have plenty to do now, but it’s the same thing over and over, not really learning anything. And somehow I’m the only one updating configuration files and doing build. Talk about boring, mindless work. I just keep repeating, “I get to work from home, I get to work from home.”
We saw Carolyn, Tom and Connor on Saturday. Owen had a blast playing with Connor’s toys, chasing the cat around saying “gat” and showing Connor how to jump on furniture.
Yesterday cousin Ronnie came over with my parents for a visit. Owen was showing off his toys and dancing skills. I ate way too much junk and now I have a food hangover.
I was super productive this weekend though. I did our taxes, clean the floor and made Chocolate Covered Katie‘s thin mints from her cookbook.
This afternoon I have off and we’re heading to Bryan’s parents’. One of the better Valentines Weekends I’ve had.
Have I written about how Owen will bring you your shoes? When he knows we’re going out, or our guests are leaving, he’ll go get our shoes. And now he says “shoes” too. “Socks” are still big too. He tries to say squirrel, but it comes out more like “caaa.” Cheese and geese are still important in his life.
He likes to hear the same book over and over until he decides it’s time to move onto a new one. Last month it was Babies and Doggies, this month is Mr Brown Can Moo.
We took a break from night weaning because we all got sick. He actually had a double ear infection. All better now and we had his checkup this week too. He’s average height now, but he’s a bit skinny, probably because he wasn’t eating while he was sick.
We had a lot of fun when I was off those two weeks. Work sucks, only because it takes me away from him, otherwise it’s not so bad.
Every year before the new year begins, I look back at past recorded years. Earlier entries have been edited for length. Current year’s at the bottom if you want to skip to that.
-Really? He slept 7 hours straight? I don’t remember this
-I went back to work
-Bryan and I had a horrible stomach bug and Owen spent our anniversary crying the ENTIRE DAY
-everyone wants me to work for them
-my new project isn’t very busy
-Connor was born
-Owen says “Mama!”
-I switch projects again
-Chris, Rae and Lyra come to visit!
-We head down the shore to see my aunt and cousins
-Owen crawls up the stairs and into trouble
-Playdate with Connor
-His new favorite word is “uh oh”
-Ishrat’s housewarming party
-He turns 1!
-Many birthday celebrations
-Owen had a nasty virus and we all take turns getting sick
-We’re officially living in the future
-Owen loves watching the geese and saying the word :)
-Had a blast at Brian’s
-Got our free Direct TV
-Thanksgiving at our place
Since I haven’t written a post this month…
It’s been an unusually warm December which has been great for walks. We even took several evening walks around the neighborhood to look at all the lights. I took of the last two weeks of the month and Owen and I have been having a great time together. It was raining the other day and the three of us checked out the new indoor playground just down the street. This kid has unlimited energy.
Christmas was a lot of fun. He loves socializing with everyone. He’s definitely still happiest when we have company. He’s the life of the party! Food was good too. Even Owen ate my kale!
I’ve been working on night weaning him. Going with Jay Gordon’s method, but going a little slower between the first two steps to stretch out the time between feedings instead of cutting them out completely. He’s been eating a lot at night, so I don’t want to move too fast. So far, so good. The first night was a little rough, I caved in and nursed him really fast, but since then, he’s settled with minimal comforting and fallen back asleep. On my chest or my head, but I’ll take it.
1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before? There’s been a lot of baby firsts. Threw a first birthday party? Actually, several.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Last year I wanted to balance work, family and my health. I guess I did a decent job at that. I also wanted to keep learning new things at work, did that, I’m still breastfeeding and I did lose all the baby weight!
Next year, hmm, I want more than 3 hours of consecutive sleep, I want to be a good bridesmaid for Julia and I want to go out after 6pm.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Carolyn, Sumayya
4. Did anyone close to you die? nope
5. What countries did you visit? None
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015? sleep, free time
7. What date from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? 10/21/15 – Back to the Future day!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Keeping the baby alive
9. What was your biggest failure? That mobilithon went pretty badly
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? No one got sick until Owen turned 1 and now every week it seems like someone’s sick
11. What was the best thing you bought? My sneakers
14. Where did most of your money go? Baby
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Baby and family/friends’ babies
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
l. happier or sadder? happier
ll. thinner or fatter? thinner
lll. richer or poorer? richer, barely
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? I probably could have put a little more time/effort in at work
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? obsessing over breastfeeding
20. How will you be spending Christmas? not sure
24. What was your favorite TV program? Jane the Virgin
26. What was the best book you read? Big Little Lies
28. What did you want and get? To work from home most of the time
29. What did you want and not get? Money back from the insurance company
30. What was your favorite film of this year? Um, I finally saw Big Hero Six
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I’m 30? omg, I’m 30. What did we do? I think we ordered sushi
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? sleep
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014? this looks cofortable
34. What kept you sane? the 20 minutes a day I get to workout
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Michael J Fox
36. What political issue stirred you the most? oy, I guess the syrian refugees, and I do think we should take them in
37. Who did you miss? Everyone
38. Who was the best new person you met? Connor, Nolan
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015: Toddlers are a lot of fun
41. Summarize 2015: still, babies
42. What are you most looking forward to next year? DISNEY! DISNEY! DISNEY!
43. What were your predictions last year? sigh, no self lacing sneakers or flying cars. My new assignment was awesome… while it lasted. My new new one, not so much. Owen… Owen did not sleep through the next.
44. What are your predictions for 2016: Oh God if he doesn’t sleep through the night by next year… the terrible twos will indeed be terrible, but we’ll have a blast in Disney
I wrote this last week and never published it – I was going to get out of bed at 3:15 this morning, but as I was a attempting to slide out, Owen rolled over onto me. I decided to get in the extra baby cuddles while I still can and slept for another hour <3 Yes, I’m still going to bed so so early and he still wakes at least every two hours, but I love cuddling with him. Night weaning has to happen though. Really. Probably when I’m off in December.
He’s learning so much every day. He’s gotten so good at saying “geese” and running to the window to look for them. He recently learned to point to his head and put his shapes in the right spots in his house and he does it with the biggest smile because he’s so proud of himself <3 So much fun just watching him.
He’s been eating a lot lately, so we’re thinking growth spurt. He can reach so many things he’s not supposed to! Ha ha. Looking forward to when his feet reach the ground when he sits on his pirate ship. Maybe he can push himself a little and save our backs!
We went to Brian’s last week and he had so much fun running around in a field by his house. Not fun on the drive home. He screamed for 30 minutes straight and made himself throw up. :(
He loves gymboree. I need to get a video of him when his teacher brings out the busy box. It’s like Christmas.
Was a couple of days ago, but I didn’t get a chance to blog then. I was pleasantly surprised how into it the world was. Even the White House. Jimmy Kimmel’s segment took the cake though. Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd as Marty and Doc taking selfies <3
I used to be so into anything that gave a glimpse into the future. I wanted so badly to know what technologies we could look forward to enjoying. I think I would have been way more excited about smart phones than anything else really. The internet in my pocket? Heck yeah! I never found hoverboards or flying cars all that exciting. Always sounded more dangerous than anything. I wouldn’t mind voice activated home controls, but I can’t really afford Digital Life even with my employee discount, ha ha.
Owen is 13 months today. He had such a great time at his birthday parties <3 And then he got sick :( He had blisters all over his throat and wouldn’t eat anything but mommy milk for two week. So glad I’m still nursing. He’s back to normal now, but has developed an aversion to some foods he previously loved.
Then I got sick. And I’m still coughing and my ear is still stuffy and my throat still hurts. I think it’s that allergies hit at the same time. I really need to clean everything. Our house is a disaster and I’m sure that’s not helping.
Gymboree today! Yay! I think that’s my favorite part of the week. Watching Owen run around and have such a good time is the best.
I can’t believe we’ve been parents of this amazing, little guy for a year now! What lucky people we are! I could never have imagined how much fun it would be watching him play and learn and how my heart would melt every time he hugs me or says “mama.” <3 Love you so much!
Weight: about 20 1/2 pounds
Favorite Foods: cheese, yogurt, kiwi, sweet potato, avocado
Favorite Books: Doggies and Moo, Baa, La La La, Thumper and the Noisy Ducky
Favorite Toys: His play house, our food storage containers, his walkers
Favorite Animal: Dog
Favorite Thing to do with Daddy: Walks
Favorite Thing to do with Mommy: Nurse
Favorite Game: Peek-a-boo
Favorite Place to Visit: Gymboree
Milestones: He’s gotten very good at walking and going up and down the stairs. He finally started waving! He says “mama,” “dada,” and “uh-oh.”