Only a few more days with my sweet baby before I go back to work :(
We took him to the mall last week. He loved it! All the things! I think he gets bored at home sometimes. Such an ordeal taking him out though, especially since he’s the only baby who doesn’t love car rides. We did put on Christmas music on the way home from the mall which, combined with his exhaustion, lulled him into a sleep. Going to try taking him to Kohls maybe today.
He laughs and grabs at toys now. This morning we were playing with his giraffe and he was smiling! Speaking of smiles, this morning he was sleeping and I saw he kicked off his blanket. I went over to him and he was awake a looked very distressed. He saw me and flashed me the biggest smile :)
I also showed him his baby artwork book this morning which brought out an “oooooh.” And read him the story of the gingerbread man which he seemed to really enjoy.
Yesterday wasn’t as good. His reflux was bad and I couldn’t get him to nap. He sleeps really well at night, he’s been doing at least a five hour stretch every night, but naps have been tough. Ice been letting him sleep on me so he sleeps at all, but I really have to pee right now and my arm is asleep.
I actually prefer he wakes up once during the night, otherwise I need to get up and pump and the pump doesn’t put me back to sleep like he does :-/
1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before? … Gave birth
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Maryam and I did do two hackathons this year, go us! This year I want to do my best to balance work, family and my health. Keep learning new things at work, keep breastfeeding for a year or more and lose this baby weight.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Melanie, Melanie, Rae, me, Merzia, Carolynne
4. Did anyone close to you die? No, though friends of mine had a few tough losses
5. What countries did you visit? None
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014? A hoverboard
7. What date from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? 9/25, my Owen was born
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Creating a human
9. What was your biggest failure? Not winning the hackathons?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Morning sickness
11. What was the best thing you bought? Cloth diapers
14. Where did most of your money go? Baby
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Baby and family/friends’ babies
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
l. happier or sadder? happier
ll. thinner or fatter? Fatter
lll. richer or poorer? richer, barely
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Hydrating
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Can’t think of anything
20. How will you be spending Christmas? people are coming over here
24. What was your favorite TV program? Orange is the New Black
26. What was the best book you read? The Happiest Baby on the Block
28. What did you want and get? Owen
29. What did you want and not get? My disability money from the state… It’s coming I’m sure
30. What was your favorite film of this year? The second hunger games was this year, right?
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? turned 29, had a party at our house, played Cards Against Humanity
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? a better project
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014? Maternity clothes, whatever fits
34. What kept you sane? Bryan
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
37. Who did you miss? Everyone
38. Who was the best new person you met? Owen
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014: Being a mommy is pretty awesome
41. Summarize 2014: babies
42. What are you most looking forward to next year? Watching Owen grow
43. What were your predictions last year? Many new babies, I’ve mostly left Ruby, it did snow and I would have visited Seattle if I weren’t pregnant
44. What are your predictions for 2015: Sneakers will lace themselves, cars will fly, the justice system will work swiftly now that they’ve abolished all lawyers… My new assignment will be awesome, Owen will sleep through the night
He changes so much every day. I took him to work on Wednesday and he was so good. He hardly fussed at all. He was so interested in all the things and was smiling at people. Since then he seems to have his days and nights pretty much straightened out, though I’m not really getting more sleep since he has his long sleep early.
It’s ok, he’s adorable. He smiled at his reflection today and squealed with delight at his Pooh art while I was changing his diaper. He was making funny faces with grandma yesterday :) He’s also more into toys and will grab at them now.
I know I just wrote an 8 week post, but last night, he did the cutest thing. I was feeding him and he was starting at me. I told him I loved him and he made the sweetest noise, I swear, like he was trying to say it back. Then I melted and smiled and he gave back the happiest gummy smile. Oh my gosh. I’m loving every minute with him. Less than a month until I go back to work :(
Comparison pics: one week, one month, two months
What???? Really? Time is going by much too quickly. He’ll be two months old in a few days. He’s suddenly turned into a light sleeper. He wakes up when I try and transfer Jim to the rock ‘n play and if he doesn’t wake up, he will twenty minutes later. Then he also sleeps for long stretches and then eats an amount of food after. Really, I can’t believe his stomach is that big and even more amazing, my books make that much milk.
Pumping has gotten a little better. I’m now getting an average of 2.5oz a day. Enough to build up a supply. If he wants to eat all day, I just pump on one side while he eats from the other. This morning, he’s sleeping, so I got it all in one, easy shot.
He’s sleeping, I should really be cleaning or something…
He coos a lot. He love the pictures above his changing table and will tell you about it or that he has a poppie diaper.
How do women do back to working after only six weeks? We are so backwards in this country when it comes to maternity leave. Speaking of other countries and the awesome people that live there, my Canadian buddy, Carolynne just welcome her little girl into the world, congrats!
So, six weeks. Owen started social smiling which is just about the cutest thing ever. He’s imitating faces too and gets a kick out of it when he sticks his tongue out and then I do it. He’s also a very cranky baby. Fourth trimester, gas, sleepiness, who knows, but there’s no problem that can’t be solved by the boob. No idea what will happen when I go back to work. Pumping is still a problem, mostly because he eats all day. He’s finally sleeping now, so I’m pumping as I write this.
What else… He can roll over onto his back sometimes. He didn’t cry when we gave him a bath yesterday. I think he liked the fact he had an audience. He likes to entertain.
He has blocked tear ducts and developed a but of an eye infection last week’s, but he got drops and now he’s all better. Poor little guy, he’s had jaundice, reflux, baby acne, blocked tear ducts. At least all minor stuff. No wonder he’s so cranky though.
Time is going by way too quickly. Trying to savor each moment, minus the ones where he pees all over everything.
Bryan’s been having trouble with him at night. He still has his nights and days mixed up. Bryan can’t get him to sleep, I can’t get him to wake up for feedings.
He’s so cute though. He makes silly faces. He smiles a lot, can’t wait until he social smiles :p
So being a mom is pretty awesome. Our son is twenty kinds of adorable. I even get excited about changing poopy diapers because I can record a poop and many poops means he’s getting enough food. It’s like points in a game. Plus, the cloth diapers are awesome. We were having crazy leak problems with disposables, but none so far with cloth. Btw, breastfed baby poop actually smells pleasant.
Breastfeeding is simultaneously the best and worst part of taking care a newborn. He sucks, we bond, he makes cute noises, he’s comforted and gets all the nutrients he needs. But then he flails around and hits me and tries to grab my nipple and then he screams if he loses the latch and he doesn’t latch good, so ouch. And, oh yeah, sleep deprivation. Then there’s the part where I spent $200 on a lactation consultant and $500 to get his tongue tie, which may or may not have been a thing, taken care of. But he’s gaining weight and pooping – win.
Currently his favorite activities include feeding, walking in the carrier and sleeping on mommy and daddy.
I started having contractions after my Dr appointment Monday afternoon where I was not dilated at all. They kept getting more intense until the point I woke up at 4am and couldn’t get back to sleep again. Tuesday night, I was in a lot of pain and the contractions were close together, but irregular. I called the doctor to ask what I should do and she said it didn’t sound like I was in labor, wait 30 minutes and go to the hospital if I felt it necessary. The contractions became less frequent, so I waited.
Wednesday, I was in pain all day and the contractions were coming at least every 8 minutes, but still irregular. By 4:30, they were pretty bad so we went to the hospital.
Read the rest of this entry »
Ha ha, three years ago today. I had fun reading that post. It’s comforting to know I’ve since addressed all of my concerns about having kids. One of the comments suggested I wait until I’m 29 :)
Baby can come any day now. Just waiting. Been extra hormonal lately. Hard to sleep because there’s just no room in there for anything besides baby. Haven’t gained much weight the last couple of weeks, probably because there’s no where for it to go… Otherwise, still feeling good. No swelling, no extreme discomfort. Still exercising, though forward bends and squats aren’t really happening anymore.
Nursery is almost done. Still need to hang stuff on the wall, but otherwise it’s fully functional.
I heard some very happy news today from one of my friends :D Next year, my Facebook news feed is just going to be swarming with babies and it’s going to be awesome :D
And some photos from my friend shower which I didn’t get a chance to post before: