Feeling a bit less angry at the world now that I’ve recovered from the stomach bug. I did have fun last weekend at our girls’ getaway despite sinus issues. Nice catching up with everyone and eating yummy things :)
Onto some silly Owenisms
Owen: (quoting his book) I want to be an engineer when I grow up! Mama, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Me: I am an engineer
Owen: you are???
“I love you baby (kisses my tummy). I hope you OK in there. Don’t make Mama sick, ok?”
“Once upon at time there was a girl named Willow. And me and Willow went and picked pumpkins in the pumpkin patch. Then the friends had two pumpkins and they put them in the box.”
Me : They have waffles and pancakes and-
Me: Legos? Those aren’t food
Owen: Wait, I didn’t say that right.. um…
Me: … You mean bagels?
Owen: Yes, bagels!
While helping me shop for bras, he picks out a giant purple one: “Hey Mama, your boo boos would fit in this one!”
Bryan: do you have a tail?
Owen: no, I only have a butt
Owen accompanied me to rite aid where I was buying snacks for our girls’ weekend trip: “Mama’s friends are hungry!”
Angry Owen: “I’m going to another planet and find a new Mama.”
Week 25 of misery. I look back at how badly I wanted to get pregnant and I feel like that was a different person. Now I’m just a sack incubating this thing that will come out and pee and poop and cry and keep us up all night.
Ok, I had a particularly bad week. Stomach bug + pregnancy = hell. I should just be thankful I was only puking my guts out for like 12 hours. I look forward to when I can walk up a flight of stairs without needing a nap again.
Last pregnancy, Owen cured my allergies, now I have pregnancy rhinitis and post nasal drip which has given me this cough because my abs aren’t sore enough from vomiting.
And we just got a $550 bill for a blood test that my Dr assured us wouldn’t cost that much. Fuck her. All she had to say was, “I don’t know how much it will cost, maybe you should check with your insurance.” We could have at least waited a week so the deductible counted towards this year.
Every year before the new year begins, I look back at past recorded years. Earlier entries have been edited for length. Current year’s at the bottom if you want to skip to that.
1. What did you do in 2018 that you’d never done before?
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Last year I needed to find a new home for all of my office “friends,”. I did set them up in my basement. I wanted to do that free class on deep learning. That did not happen, but I almost finished the class on statistics. I gotta do something in terms of learning next year, because once I got pregnant all that stopped.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Rachi and Bushra
4. Did anyone close to you die? Papi :(
5. What countries did you visit? None
6. What would you like to have in 2019 that you lacked in 2018? I just want the year too go smoothly
7. What date from 2018 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? I don’t think any date in particular, but there were quite a few days I’d rather forget mixed with some happier ones
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? I got a nice raise, created life
9. What was your biggest failure? Being pregnant and useless the last few months
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? The morning sickness was intense. Had a lot of stomach problems early in the year and a lovely cyst
11. What was the best thing you bought? Preschool for Owen
14. Where did most of your money go? Groceries? Disney, Colorado
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Baby #2!
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
l. happier or sadder? Sadder honestly. Besides finally getting pregnant, it’s been a rough year and a rough pregnancy so far.
ll. thinner or fatter? Well, I’m pregnant
lll. richer or poorer? Poorer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Learning
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Throwing up
20. How will you be spending Christmas? People coming here
24. What was your favorite TV program? A lot of good TV this year. Travelers, The Man in the High Castle, The Marvelous Mrs Mazel. NBC even gifted an ending to Timeless. Someone high up must really like that show. It was awful, but better than nothing.
26. What was the best book you read? I think I’ve only read children’s books…
28. What did you want and get? To be pregnant
29. What did you want and not get? A girl, lol. And I don’t even know if he’s healthy cause he wouldn’t turn around.
30. What was your favorite film of this year? I must have watched something. Black Panther wasn’t bad… Oh, I found some time travel movie on HBO, About Time, that was cute
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? Playground with friends and their littles. I turned 33.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Bad things not happening to loved ones.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2017? still stitch fix
34. What kept you sane? Owen. No matter how lousy I feel, that kid’s hugs make me feel better. Though he often drives me crazy too.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Stacey Abrams who ran for governor in Georgia. Real disappointed she didn’t win. She did an AMA on Reddit, seemed like a good person.
36. What political issue stirred you the most? Oy. I just don’t understand Trump supporters at all. I think what bugs me the most is what we’re doing to our planet.
37. Who did you miss? Papi
38. Who was the best new person you met? The babies
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2018: if you have one really bad encounter with a Dr, they’re probably awful and you should switch right away no matter how convenient they are
41. Summarize 2018: a lot of shit, literally and figuratively, but bursts of pure joy
42. What are you most looking forward to next year? I just want to make it out of the year alive
43. What were your predictions last year? When I said new office space, I meant the move downstairs, right? That happened earlier than I thought it would, but still pretty late. It has been tough on the One Team.
44. What are your predictions for 2019? We’ll all need therapy after the Game of Thrones finale; our new office space will be shiny, but suck; I will not sleep
Sitting here with my second cold in two weeks, thinking about how I haven’t felt well in months now. Then thinking about how lucky I am that I am pregnant and I don’t have the flu and baby is healthy so far and Owen hasn’t had to have his tooth pulled and my job isn’t stressful and I can work from home today and we get to go to Disney in a few months and things really aren’t so bad.
PRESCHOOL TEST with no prompting ask your preschoolers these questions.
What is your name? Owen
How old are you? 4
When’s your birthday? 20 months
How old is mommy? 28
What is your favorite color? Green
What is your favorite food? Noodles
Who is your best friend? Matthew
What is your favorite show? Voltron
What is your favorite song? Green song, Christmas song
What is your favorite animal? Pteradactolis
What are you afraid of? A t-rex
What makes you happy? Matthew
Where is your favorite place to be? Two birthdays (we just came back from two parties)
What do you want to be when you grow up? Green astronaut
What does love mean? You! (points at me)
It took a little longer than we expected, but right before our trip to Colorado, we found out we had another little one on the way. I felt OK the first couple of weeks, just tired, but then the morning sickness hit. It’s been a rough couple of months. I keep telling myself it’s a happy 24/7 nausea as I’m throwing up all over the bathroom floor at work.
The medicine the Dr gave me helps, but I didn’t fill the prescription because I’m stupid. Well, it was because it makes me sleepy and doesn’t help completely and I thought I’d feel better by now. Spoiler: I don’t.
My appetite is back though. Oh man, today, I was sitting in training thinking about lunch and I thought, I could really go for some chicken nuggets. Did you know our cafeteria sells chicken fingers? I didn’t either! Probably because I never wanted them before. I was so excited! I never enjoyed chicken fingers more in my whole life.
Training sucked though. I fell asleep. And I wouldn’t have gone into work today because it snowed. He did let us out early, but it was still an awful drive home. Hearing about other folks’ commutes, I think I got lucky.
Back to happy things, Owen is super excited about being a big brother. He’ll sing to the baby and tell the baby he loves it <3 He even said he wants to get up in the middle of the night to take care of the baby when it cries. I told him his job is to get lots of sleep so he’ll grow real big.
We decided to head out West so Owen could meet Grandpa Harry. We were very anxious because traveling via rental car with a three year old could get pretty crazy. Luckily, I discovered this thing, so we didn’t have to drag around a car seat with us.
We flew out there on a Monday, got the rental car and stayed at a hotel between the airport and Breckenridge. We immediately checked out the pool, which was freezing because their heater was broken. So Owen and I ultimately ended up soaking our feet in the hot tub.
The next day we drove up to Breckenridge. We stopped at Bryan’s dad’s and step-mom’s office on the way there to see them. Owen was super impressed. We checked in at the hotel which is normally one of those crazy expensive places during ski season, but super reasonable in the summer. Of course, we went swimming. The kiddie pool was really great. It was huge and had water spraying things. Was a tad too cool in the mornings though, so we only went swimming three times.
The hotel also had a bowling alley which we took advantage of. Behind the hotel was a mini amusement park. Owen did the giant Alpine Slide with Bryan and the bouncy house there.
But Owen’s favorite part of staying in the hotel was the gondola. We rode that into town every day, multiple times a day. I personally would have liked to have done more shopping in town, but Owen was pretty cranky the whole week, so we mostly stuck to toy shopping and eating.
Owen was acting like he was pretty sick the second day we were up there, probably from the altitude. After we forced him to take some tylenol and drink some water, he felt much better. He still didn’t eat normally the whole week though and was generally pretty tired cranky.
I was pretty cranky the last day too. I was really looking forward to the Great Rubber Duck Race and they cancelled it because the water level was too low :'( They still did the bouncy houses and stuff, so Owen had a good time and he didn’t really know what he was missing out on. I’m still disappointed.
We spent some time at Grandpa Harry and Grandma Cookie’s house too. He had a good time jumping on their trampoline. He keeps saying he misses Grandpa Harry and he wants to go back to Colorado, so I guess he had a good time.
Owen: (pointing to face cream) Mama, that medicine?”
Me: sure, yeah, it’s medicine
Owen: mama, you need to rest
Owen: I fall and bump the mouth. All the blood! Have to clean up the blood, feel better. Oh poor Owen! There blood all over! Want mama. Mouth all better now!
(Wearing a Batman mask)
Me: are you Adam West Batman?
Owen: I’m not Batman, I’m Owen
Owen: (on leaving Disney) go plane, go home to Owen’s house
Me: are you excited about going home?
Owen: not really
Owen: I lost Connor, I lost my son :(
Me: look at that baby butt!
Owen: Dada has a big butt
Me: I love my little boy
Owen: I love my little Mama
Me: do you want some almond milk?
Owen: milk is for babies
Owen: Mama, Dada has a big butt
Me: Owen, tell me a story
Owen: once upon a time.
Me: That’s the whole story?
Owen: yeah. …
Owen: … once upon a time there was a little Mama who wanted to sleep. Once upon a time there was a big Dada who wanted to sleep in Dada bed. Once upon a time there was a little boy who wanted to sleep and drink water. Wait, where’s my water, there it is! (Drinks water) And there was a little baby and the baby was crying for his Mama, wah, wah! Dada downstairs, hi Dada! Once upon a time there was a big boy named Owen. Once upon a little there was a little girl named Husapufapoopoo
Owen: yeah and Husapufapoo poo went poo poo
Owen: Aww, so cute (puts doggy in his crib) OK, now I get a bottle. (Gets a paper tube and pretends to feed the doggy.) OK, now I get him baking soda.
Me: baking soda? But doggies don’t eat baking soda
Owen: no, it’s pretend baking soda